As the state’s economy continues to grow at a brisk pace, it is important to take steps to ensure that a reliable electric system is in place to support electric load growth. Oncor continues to monitor load growth due to oil and gas production, transportation, mid-stream processing and associated support activities in the Permian Basin, located in West Texas. In order to address load growth associated with these activities, Oncor proposes to construct a new 345 kV transmission line (initially operated at 138 kV) approximately 31 miles long to be located within Loving, Reeves and Ward Counties. The proposed project would connect the proposed Riverton Switching Station, located in Reeves County approximately 3 miles southeast of the community of Orla, to the proposed Sand Lake Switching Station, to be located in Ward County approximately 6 miles northeast of the City of Pecos. Completion of the Oncor project will achieve system upgrades that are necessary to serve existing customers and for future load growth that is projected to materialize in the Permian Basin, while generally adding valuable capacity to the entire transmission system. Completion of this proposed project will help to ensure continued reliable electric service to the entire local region.
• Voltage and Structure Type - The project is proposed to be a double circuit 345 kV transmission line constructed on steel lattice towers.
• Project One Pager
- The Riverton - Sand Lake One Pager
includes a short description of the project, approval process and contact information.
• Public Meeting
- The Public Meeting
was held on February 15, 2017 in Pecos, Tx. Informational handouts were made available at the meeting which included an explanation of the project, map showing preliminary routes, proposed structures and the licensing process.
• Application - On July 21, 2017, Oncor filed an Application at the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT) under Docket No. 47368 to construct and operate the proposed project.
• Public Notice
- A public notice
announcing the filing of Oncor's application in Docket No. 47368 was published in the local newspapers on July 27-28, 2017. A notice was mailed or hand delivered to utilities, cities, counties, DOD Siting Clearinghouse, and landowners potentially affected by the project.
• Application - On July 21, 2017, Oncor filed an Application at the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT) under Docket No.47368.
• PUCT Decision
- On May 11, 2018, the PUCT issued the final order
for this project.
Oncor representatives can be contacted regarding the Riverton - Sand Lake Transmission Project at 214.486.7800