Oncor continues to monitor West Texas load growth due to oil and natural gas production, mid-stream processing, and general population needs in the Permian Basin. As the state’s economy continues to grow, it is important to take steps to ensure that a reliable electric system is in place to support electric load growth. Specifically, Oncor proposes to construct an electric transmission line interconnecting the existing Permian Basin Switching Station, located in Ward County approximately 4 miles west of Monahans, Texas, with the existing Culberson Switching Station located in Culberson County approximately 17 miles south of the Texas/New Mexico state line and approximately 42 miles west of Mentone, Texas. Completion of the Oncor project will provide an effective solution that creates a transmission loop for serving the existing customers and future load growth anticipated in the Permian Basin and surrounding areas while adding valuable transmission capacity to the entire transmission system. This project will help ensure continued reliable electric service to the entire local region.
• Voltage and Structure Type - The project is proposed to be a double circuit 138 kV transmission line constructed on steel monopoles.
• Project One Pager - The Permian Basin – Culberson One Pager includes a short description of the project, approval process and contact information.
• Public Meeting - The Public Meetings were held on 10/22/2013 in Monahans, 10/23/2013 in Pecos, and 10/24/2013 in Kermit. Informational handouts were made available at the meetings which included an explanation of the project, map showing preliminary routes, proposed structures and the licensing process
• Application - On June 27, 2014, Oncor filed an Application at the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT) under Docket No. 42583 to construct and operate the proposed project.
• Public Notice - A Public Notice announcing the filing of Oncor's application in Docket No. 42583 was published in the local newspapers during the week of June 30, 2014. A notice was mailed or hand delivered to utilities, cities, counties and landowners potentially affected by the project.
• Preliminary Intervenor Maps - Preliminary Intervenor maps are now available as PDF downloads via the links below.
• Final Intervenor Maps - Final Intervenor maps are now available in PDF downloads via the links below.
• PUCT Decision - On May 27, 2015, the PUCT issued the final order for this project and selected the route shown on the approved route map.
Oncor representatives can be contacted regarding the Permian Basin – Culberson Transmission Project at 214.486.7344.